Wednesday 7 March 2012

HOW I MADE MY MONEY- ALIBABA


The generalissimo of Nigeria comedy, Atunyota Alleluya Akpophiohuobo Akpobomerere A.K.A Ali Baba is indeed a household name whose  popularity is no doubt even more than of the president. he is the godfather of Nigerian comedy and one comedian that no introduction.  He is a darling of notable personalities and captains of industry both in the public and private sectors.
It could be recall that In 1998, Ali registered his company, “Ali Baba Hiccupurathird”. Which many think was funny, but he meant business. That same year he erected three billboards in strategic locations in Lagos: Ozumba Mbadiwe Street, Victoria Island, Osborne Road, Ikoyi and the Marina. He paid N150,000 for each billboard per year for two years. It was like a thunder bolt that hit the landscape when organisers of events found it hard to pay comedians amounts ranging between N10,000 and N20,000. The billboard carried a simple message “Ali Baba-Being Funny is Serious Business”. 
The doyen of Nigeria comedy hosted
NAIJANEWSROOM in the comfort of his Lagos Ikoyi residence were he  shares his grace to grass story and people that were instrumental to his well acclaimed success in the humour merchant business as Excerpted below.

You are one person who has changed the perception about comedy business in this country and also a role model to upcoming comedians. Did you ever envision that you will be this successful?
No. I knew I had the potential. I knew I could do better at it, if I set my heart to it. I also knew that I could get between N50 and N200 for a one off performance, then the odds of making it was non-existent. Because my monthly allowance from my parents was N120, it meant that I could get more than that allowance if I had just two events and I was not going to be tied to a monthly job. I never expected it to be this grand and revolutionary.
What were the challenges you encountered initially?
They were many. The first one was that there were no precedents to follow. John Chukwu started it but died and not many saw it as lucrative. I had to make up the rules, break them, review some and drop some. The lack of appreciation was another challenge. People did not see why they should pay for the service. They did not even see it as a job in the first place, say less paying for it. Stand up is a no holds barred act. Its everything goes job. That was a problem. People were conservative when I started. Overtime, with television, travel, education, information technology and freedom of speech (democracy) things have changed there was the challenge of not getting regular jobs thus opening me to taking any amount. It was a lot of sacrifice to turn down some amount because of a better deal. Clients who wanted the services but did not want to pay also made it difficult. Another group would pay the advance and refuse to pay the balance. And as you know, the service is not tangible. No event is complete these days if there is no comedian working as a stand up or an M.C. Ironical as it may sound, comedians are now taken seriously. There are instances where comedians say things as a joke and people take offence or read meaning to it. Even children of rich families are joining the trade. A trade that was hitherto reserved for never does wells. So many comedians are university graduates and this has further upped their game. Recently, comedians have also contributed to the growth of the music industry. The biggest events featuring musical acts are organized by comedians.
Most Nigerians are surprise that you demand up to six digits just to make people laugh at event.
Those who say it doesn’t know what it takes to be a comedian. Its not like singing were you can just hold the microphone and sing a particular song over and over again and even in another event. Getting people to laugh is not easy. In comedy, the jokes you crack in a particular event is not the same joke you will crack in another event unlike singing were you repeat song. So, those who think paying comedians such an amount are funny and even funnier. In any event being organized these days, if a comedian is not there, the whole place look so dull, and I think a man once said that laughter is the best medicine. I don’t think it was a stupid man that said that.
On your face book page, most of your fans referred to you as being pompous. Do you really exhibit that character?
When I first joined face book I had hit just 1400 and something friends for just two months. It’s was not until I had that infamous bet with Karen on whether men would add her because of her exposure cleavage or not. Did my friends list grow at that same time? I noticed that most pages were as boring as they come. In no time, I hit 5000 thus making it impossible for anymore to come in. The inability to add more friends owing to the 5000 limit was counted as being pompous by some. I got messages from some who even said they were doing me a favor. No doubt. The pleasure is mine every time I add a friend. But if the limit is 5k, does that make me pompous? Oh! Another one is that, I was show off-ish. Posting photos of my cars, family, clothes and events. Now if that is considered show off-ish. Then, my intention was misinterpreted. Before then, I got a lot of calls from young Nigerians whose family discourage them from going into comedy
Can you share some of the experience performing at the  Aso rock presidential villa?
When I first got the invitation to perform at the villa at a simple birthday party for the former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR, I was not sure of what to say. I had a lot of things to say, but I was already suffering from information overload. Don’t crack jokes about him. Don’t yab any government officials. Don’t do tribal jokes. Avoid sexiest jokes. There should be no vulgar jokes in any form or guise. Don’t…. So when I was ushered into the gathering of kingmakers and the king himself, I couldn’t think straight. All I kept hearing was the “don’t” warnings. Dr. Doyin Okupe introduced me “To add spice to Mr. President’s birthday, the committee of friends have imported a young man. The committee had noticed that Mr. President’s sense of humour was very high, higher than all of us put together. So, we brought his match. Please welcome Ali Baba” Baba (Obasanjo) didn’t give me any breathing space. He kept lashing at my jokes and yabbing me back, but I survive him! From then onwards, Baba continued to accords me recognition and appreciation that was beyond imagination. Needles to say, the relationship that developed between us quickly grew into that of father and son. A lot of people who obviously did not know much about Baba liked me, used to frown at my picking on him. The Baba and Ali Baba relationship was a sure entertainment combination at any event we both were at. Even when I was not there, he would make reference to me and I did the same for him. The feeling was mutual. To say the former president’s love for my act help to rocket my career to high heavens would be stating the obvious. What was not known was that, that trickled down to my colleagues. State governors who knew that Baba like me made sure I was part of their presidential dinner, there was a time Baba asked for his cut from my fees. I said “haba Baba” he looked at me and said “you had better come good-o. There are more state visits”. I continued to get invited to those state functions in his honour and several events followed. I never got around to giving him any part of the HAUL. He didn’t need it. After that presidential library fund raising, I don’t think he needs any cut at all, but I love him like a father. I supposed he loved me like a son. That is why he let me use him in my jokes FREE OF CHARGE.

Can you talk about your relationship with Patrick Doyle?
I had gotten some popularity in the wedding and corporate circuit as well as some notable appearances in several concerts and night clubs, including some cameo appearances on morning ride, youth scene and the honourables. Then, I met Patrick Doyle at the national theatre after one of such many events. He asked if I wanted to come on his show “Friday nite” live. I had been an avid watcher of the show “Friday nite” live which was the pulse of the weekend. It was the show that not only told you where, who and what was happening that weekend, but was a platform for reviewing the week and also a platform for showcasing musical artistes, actors and celebrities. Of course, I said yes and that led to my weekly appearance on the show as a side kick. Friday nite live was an icing on the cake of what I could do as a comedian. It gave me a platform to relate with viewers one on one through the live phone calls and off the show. My appearances increased at corporate and social events. I was at home with Patrick Doyle. As a master of one liners and intellectual jokes, he gave me all the encouragement I needed. I remember the producer Eja, telling Patrick Doyle that some senior Oga were concerned about my kind of jokes and how sensitive they were, adding that if I did not stop doing them, I would be yanked off the show. Patrick called me into the control room and told me what the director had told him “I don’t a crap what they say. I think you are funny and they can all go to hell. They need to get a sense of humour or something like that” beyond the show, Patrick took me to some events he was working at as MC. On one such assignment, he told me being a comedian was good but to break into the corporate world, there was a need to reduce the Pidgin English used in the delivery of jokes. “Your jokes can be funny if not funnier if you do them in English”
Patrick was not just a role model; he was an inspiration and facilitator to my steady rise and sure growth as a young comedian and professional MC. In the years that followed, Patrick Doyle through his modesty and no hassles character gradually faded out the line of egbon and aburo. But, its there. He is an everlasting egbon.
What about your working relationship with Charly Boy. We understand you were once with him.
Edi Lawani sent me to meet a lady Gloria Alozie, who used to work with new wave productions, producers of the Charly Boy Show. It was a recorded programme. Charly Boy was not a boy. He was a man of many parts. When Gloria Alozie took me to him that day, he had just finished rehearsal and was having a very serious talk with the drummer. I immediately knew he was a no nonsense man. After waiting for a while, I was invited upstairs. There must have been about 300 people in that room. I entered and greeted everyone. “You are Ali Baba?” he asked. “Yes sir” I replied. “What can you do?” I was surprised at his question, surprised because he had come to perform in Ekpoma when I had performed. But maybe he needed a reminder. “I was the comedian that performed at your show in Ekpoma…” “I no even remember say I performed sef for that kind place, talkless of comedian wey perform” he said. Edi Lawani had sent a note to Gloria and she remembered me. So, I mentioned the important “note”. “Ok. I am very busy as you can see. Show me what you can do” that was how I was auditioned. It was whilst working as a comedian on the Charly Boy show that I learnt that the delivery of jokes on stage was different from delivering them on television. When he now started performing at a place called Laparies in Maryland, I also used the platform to relate with a different kind of audience. An audience unlike the corporate type, I had become used to. Charly boy, thank for giving me a platform.
Richard Mofe Damijo (RMD) must have contributed to your success because you talk so much about him.
What can I say about the bros? He is an eternal inspiration. He came from Warri to make a mark and he did. He did not set out to be an icon, but he is. Opinions, yes opinion, vary about him. Anyhow, whether you like it or not, you can’t help but love his swagger. He is a lover of kids. He is an avid reader or is this supposed to read “ was an avid reader?” a writer, a publisher. I remember walking into his office off Adeniyi Jones, where the office of Mister Magazine was then, and telling him, “I be warri boy and I funny die” He supported me from then on. I thank him for his words of wisdom. I remember after a near fatal accident on the Sagamu-Lagos expressway when a good Samaritan asked where to take me. I said “to RMD’s house”. He then took me to the hospital. I remembered him recommending me to several clients and even working with him when he was contracted as MC at events. I remembered him telling me that the children we have are the legacies that we would leave when we depart this world and that is why we must train them because an untrained child is a bad legacies. I remember his fashion tips. Black shoes, black belt. No oversized suits, leather soles are better than rubber sole. A good shoe serves. There is nothing like a good pair of jeans. Inner vests will make your shirts last longer. If you have style, let define you but don’t let it be all that you. I hope you noticed I didn’t remember him giving me money back then. I can’t just remember-o. I lie. He gave me money sometime. Pardon me. It was not so regularly that is why my memory fails me. I just want to use this opportunity to tell him “ Bros Mingwee (Urhobo language of greeting elders) in capital letters”
We also understand Bisi Olatilo contributed to your success in the industry. Can you comment on that?
I first met Bisi Olatilo at the University of Lagos at one of those campus events. If memory serves me right, it was a Mr. Macho. It’s was my first time facing the Unilag crowd. I had heard them boo off some very entertaining acts with that song of overstaying hospitality. Ese! Ese O!! Ese o!!! Ewa ma lo! The harder you tried to do your bit after they started singing this song, the louder it got. Bisi had not seen my act so when he took over the microphone from the person last booed, he calmed them down. He had built a stage rapport with audience through the night. He then went ahead to promise them that the next act was a young guy, an undergraduate like them. They hailed. He is from Bendel state. They hailed small. I thought Bisi would have left it there. No. He then added please welcome Ali Baba of Bensu. I was already walking to stage to receive the microphone from Bisi when the song hit me. Ese! Ese o!! Ese o!! e wa malo! I had not even performed. Fortunately, I understand Yoruba so I hit the ground running. As I collected the microphone from Bisi, I joined them in singing the song and shooing him away from the stage. He stooped and turned to see me singing and waving him off. The students caught the joke. They stopped singing nearly dead silence. Just as I was about to start my performance one heckler who obviously had a following made a remark. It was well timed. It hit home. “see ya shoe”. The laughter was expected. It was a home run. I let it die, then turned in the direction of the comment. “my shoe?” I asked cynically. “e no bad reach your face wey be like carryover course!” I must confess, I did not expect it to work that well. The laughter that followed was thunderous. I had all his followers and more. His guys moved away from him. He was an island. “oh! So na you” yes. You wey do lip like shoulder pad (this was in vogue then) the guy then tried to cover his mouth with his left hand. That was when I buried him. “why you dey waste your time?” only one hand na him you want take cover all that lip? Use the second hand join”. While his friends were running circles around him, I finished him off. “that is why they say two hands are better than one” I looked to my right, behind the curtain and caught Bisi, leaning on the person next to him and laughing his head off. I went on to have a great performance. Then, I said the phrase that has now finally become my last line on stage, “thank you very much, you have been wonderful audience” but as I was about to walk away, Bisi called me back, hugged me and said “I was the funniest comedian he had seen in Nigeria” That was it. The hall gave me another round of applause. Then he introduced a group called “Turning point”. While they were performing, myself and my manager were busy sorting out our very important business, our balance. Uncle B, short for Bisi, welcomed me to his home, then in 1004, introduced me to his colleagues (Mani Onumonu, Smart Otemu, Zakari Mohammed, Evelyn Russel, Soni Irabor, Jim Lawson Madueke and Leo Onwudi) as the next best thing in entertainment. I started coming into town and joining him at his radio programme and MC programme. Still brimming with ideas, I used to just throw anything that was funny at any audience I faced; it was Bisi Olatilo that now taught me that there was a thin line between being funny and offensive. He told me I could be funny without being vulgar. He also told me that that every ethnic culture had its own values and traditions. That every performance must take into cognizance these factors so that he or she doesn’t step on toes and offend sensibilities. I believed him. He could not be wrong. He spoke Yoruba, Hausa and Ibo fluently. He knew what he was talking about. Bisi Olatilo also taught me that being well dressed as an MC came with the job description. I suppose he had condoned me for as while with my jeans and shirts that I used to wear to events with him. He always wore suits and complete traditional, with full Agbada compliments. You have to look the part, Dress well and You will fit in. Bisi  Olatilo’s support went beyond tutelage to financial and advice on babes!. These 20years would have being impossible without him
Besides these people you just spoke so much about due o their immense support for you, is there any other person who deserved commendation?
My gratitude goes to the man upstairs who makes all things possible. Alpha and Omega. The man from whom all blessings flow. My great provider and protector. Take all glory. You made this happen. I would also thank my wife for having tolerated me since I set eyes on her since 1995. Our 15 years have had its ups and downs but hey! We are still here. I also thank my MTO. You complete me, replenish me and above all drive me to the zenith. I look forward to that picture of us growing old on the balcony and watching the grand children running around. Love you. I will also thank my kids. I love you all. Though they think I am jobless, but God dey. When they realize how much this job brings in, I hope they will appreciate seeing daddy around the home. I also will thank people like Golden B., Ejay, Teejay, Vee Baby and others too numerous to mention. Thanks for your understanding. I also want to use this opportunity to thank my clients and all who supported me in the last 20years. You were the wind beneath my wings. I thank Bunmi Davies, Orobo too bad. My dependable work horse. You respond as the faintest of prompts. Thank for being a professional and helping me make up my mind when I am just not in the mood for serious thoughts and talk. One more thing I noticed, you have put on weight on your cheeks. We shall investigate if there has been an embezzlement of company funds.

No comments: